Monday, February 23, 2009

The Great Big Mama

Growing up, my brother Mike went through the dinosaur phase in a big way. He had this Dinosaur Rock tape (kids music) which we listened to A LOT. There was one song about the Mama Brontosaurus hatching her eggs and the refrain went like this:

(Squeaky voice) All the tiny little babies...
(Booming voice) And the GREAT BIG MAMA

This song has been going through my head a lot these days.







Yep, that last one would be my big ole belly busting out a MATERNITY t-shirt. Even though I've gained way less weight than I did with Shannon, I am absolutely huge this time around. About two weeks ago, strangers out and about started in with the "Wow, you must be due any day now" comments. Not what you want to hear when (at that point) you've still got six weeks to go!

Now I'm just about 37 weeks and, for the most part, ready for this baby. I freaked out last week and went on a spree: bought newborn diapers, washed teeny-tiny undershirts & socks and packed my hospital bag.

Shannon is still mainly oblivious, but has been getting a little more into the countdown until this baby's arrival. We've been reading some big sister/new baby books, she likes to zerbert my belly and will say "hi!" to it if you ask her to.

I've got her trained to go up and down the stairs holding my hand instead of being carried. But she likes to make me go through a very dramatic "Oh, Mommy's back hurts. Let's walk up the stairs." performance nearly every.single.time. It's funny; she clutches her own back, gets all serious, nods her head and says "back, Mommy" until I verify that indeed, my back hurts and I can't carry her.

Keep this big old Brontosaurus in your prayers!

9 comments:

uncle mike said...

the highlight of my days at st. joan's might have been when we got to go SEE "dinosaur rock" live. (and every time we pass hackensack, NJ, i think of the hadrosaur from hackensack...)

perhaps a 30th birthday present to me could be for you to hire them to perform the show in its full glory:

http://www.dinorock.com/shows/
dinosaurrock/index.html#tech

i'm giving you three-and-a-half years to plan for this gift of a lifetime. go.

Gina said...

Hang in there! You look great, ready to have a baby, but great.

Monica and Steve said...

You look wonderful!! I predict there's a little boy inside you :) I don't know why, but there it is.

And I love how zerbert is a part of our vocabulary that was created by the Cosby Show.

Can't wait to meet the newest mcgee!

Samantha said...

You look beautiful, Jodi. Can't wait to hear your big news.

Amy said...

Will do! I think you look adorable and I can't wait to meet that baby in there!

Brandy said...

You look great! You will be in our thoughts the next few weeks.

Susie PSU said...

I think you make an excellent Mama Dinosaur. Because you are so beautiful.

You DO look great, Jodi, and I'm not just sayin' that.

liz said...

Oh, Jodi, you look so wonderful. The song makes me laugh, though. Hey, we just put in a handrail for Anna at her own height. It was SUPER easy - give me a call if you want to know more about relieving your back and freeing your hands for baby#2.

Susie PSU said...

We are going to Crayola Factory tomorrow. Are you near Easton?